My Snack This Week
I can confess that I am definitely a snacker. If I had to choose between a full meal and a variety of snacks, I would definitely choose the snacks. (Especially if the snack in question includes popcorn.)
My favorite time to snack lately is after I get back from my workout classes in the evening. I usually want something filling, but also a little bit sweet. There are only so many chocolate covered almonds you can eat before you had to admit that you have a problem and need a different snack. I have arrived at that predicament in my life.
I decided to try out chocolate hummus after a co-worker brought some in for our department “Breakfast Thursdays.” Part of me was thinking, “That is absolutely vile and there is no way I am trying that.” The larger, more hungry part of me thought, “Well I do love anything with chickpeas.” As expected, I loved it. It was like a heartier chocolate frosting!
When I looked at the label of the container, there was no surprise why I felt like it tasted like frosting. The majority of the ingredients list included a variety of sugars. After looking at the list, though, I decided there was no reason I couldn’t make a healthier version of this for myself.
This chocolate hummus is filled with protein and no added sugar- just maple syrup! It comes together quickly with a small number of ingredients, and isn’t too sweet. Most of the sweetness comes when you pair it with strawberries, which are luckily in season right now and SO delicious. (And I don’t even really like strawberries that much.)
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder (I used cacao because I’m dumb and bought the wrong thing. BUT apparently it is a “superfood” and filled with magnesium and antioxidants, so I’ll take it! Give it a try if you’re looking for something to use cacao in!)
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 3-4 tablespoons of water (Add more or less for desired consistency.)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Place all ingredients except water into a food processor and blend until it is a paste.
- Add water tablespoon by tablespoon until it is the desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh strawberries!